In his intervention on 22.08.2011 at the Town Hall, Vlassis Sfyroeras discussed the orientations of the future development of the local economy.
After a brief reference to the particularly unfavourable international economic environment, Vlassis Sfyroeras stressed that the economy of Paros should develop with reference to the following:
- Development of appropriately sited renewable energy installations.
- When the economy recovers, building activity should be within limits defined on the basis of spatial and other plans, respecting the planning and building regulations and preserving the Cycladic character of the island.
- For the same reason, limits should also be placed on the commercial-industrial activities.
- Attention should be paid to the environmental impact of large (e.g. airport) and small public works. Recent improvements in Naoussa represent a good example. Parikia should regain its “lost style” with the improvement and restoration of its seafront, woods (“Dasyllio”) and agricultural garden (“Agrokipio”).
- Strengthening local farming to supply the island and retain its agricultural environment, which is an important feature of the Cycladic character of Paros.
- Need to de-congest the month of August and extend the tourist season with new tourist products – archaeological, religious, environmental, sports tourism.
- The production and promotion of certified and protected local and traditional products of certified (e.g. olive oil, cheese, honey) and the strengthening of arts and crafts.