Workshop on the ancient queries of Paros – 16.11.2016
The Friends of Paros would like to thank all those who participated and contributed to the event and they welcome the spirit of cooperation that has prevailed.
We draw the following main points and conclusions from the workshop which, in our opinion, are supported by the other local associations, with whom we will continue the dialogue with a view to joint action for the protection and promotion of ancient queries.
Overall, we envisage:
- An action plan based on participatory processes with the objective of creating a notable archaeological park,
- which will ensure the protection of the underground galleries of ancient quarries and the character of the whole archaeological site,
- and will highlight, their many aspects:
• the incomparable history of Paros marble and its extraction,
• its wider cultural value around the Aegean Sea and around the world,
• its importance to the people of Paros.
In particular, we believe that an initial list of achievable actions should include:
- An independent and trustworthy report on the condition and preservation of the galleries and the establishment of a monitoring system.
- The expropriation and / or progressive acquisition of the entire archaeological site.
- Digital mapping out of the galleries and samples of digital applications.
- Geological survey to systematically locate all galleries in the archaeological site.
- Collection and documentation and photographic data and other archives, copies of sculptures, etc. for the progressive promotion of the site.
- Participation in national and international programmes and events aiming at the greater recognition of the value of the site.
We intend to support the cooperation between the Archaeological Service (Ephorate) and the Municipality of Paros through a working group composed of representatives of local associations and other stakeholders, with the aim of providing ongoing support towards the coordination of the aforementioned actions, promotion and fundraising.
Finally, we propose to hold a new meeting within 6-9 months for stock taking and to propose a second list of actions.