Action Plan for the protection and promotion of the ancient quarries of Paros
Conclusions of the workshop of 16.11.2019
The hot topic of the incomparable and unique value of ancient quarries in Paros occupied more than 150 of our fellow citizens on Saturday 16/11 in the packed “Archilochos Hall”. A serious effort was made to launch a realistic action plan, with the direct participation of the Municipality of Paros and the Ephorate of Antiquities of the Cyclades, local associations and the people of our island.
The opening speech was by the Director of Cyclades Antiquities Dimitris Athanasoulis, who outlined the policy of the Ministry of Culture and Sports on Paros and the Cyclades in general, followed by a presentation of international experience in the protection and valorisation of underground cultural heritage and the European programme ‘Underground4Value’ by Giuseppe Pace, and a talk on digital management of cultural heritage by Asst. Prof. George Caridakis, University of the Aegean.
The context of the tremendous archaeological and cultural value of the quarries was marked by lectures and interventions, including by Academician Manolis Korres, IAPK’s president Dora Katsonopoulou, sculptor Aristides Varrias and educator Christos Georgousis. The Head of the Department of Prehistoric and Classical Antiquities and Museums Cyclades Georgia Papadopoulou presented the work and plans of the archaeological service for the protection of the ancient, while architect Christos Takos presented the study he has carried out on protecting and enhancing the site.
Following the lectures, two panels discussed through a roundtable format proposals and initiatives for the protection and promotion of ancient quarries and the wider archaeological site.
An exhibition of historical archives and studies was also organised and related audiovisual material was projected.
The Mayor of Paros, Markos Kovaios, the Vice regional Governor for Health & Social Welfare Costas Bizas, and the head of the “Laiki Syspirosi” Costas Rokonidas, took an active part in the conference.
The Friends of Paros thank the Municipality of Paros for putting the conference under its auspices and all those who participated and contributed and welcomed the spirit of cooperation that prevailed.
In closing the event, they emphasized:
“Overall, we envisage:
An action plan based on participatory processes with the objective of creating a notable archaeological park, which will ensure the protection of the underground galleries of ancient quarries and the character of the whole archaeological site, and will highlight, their many aspects:
- the incomparable history of Paros marble and its extraction,
- its wider cultural value around the Aegean Sea and around the world,
- its importance to the people of Paros.
In particular, we believe that an initial list of achievable actions should include:
- An independent and trustworthy report on the condition and preservation of the galleries and the establishment of a monitoring system.
- The expropriation and / or progressive acquisition of the entire archaeological site.
- Digital mapping out of the galleries and samples of digital applications.
- Geological survey to systematically locate all galleries in the archaeological site.
- Collection and documentation and photographic data and other archives, copies of sculptures, etc. for the progressive promotion of the site.
- Participation in national and international programmes and events aiming at the greater recognition of the value of the site.
We intend to support the cooperation between the Archaeological Service (Ephorate) and the Municipality of Paros through a working group composed of representatives of local associations and other stakeholders, with the aim of providing ongoing support towards the coordination of the aforementioned actions, promotion and fundraising.
Finally, we propose to hold a new meeting within 6-9 months for stock taking and to propose a second list of actions”.
More information about the workshop, the programme and the presentations is available HERE